Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss


Over 50 years have gone by since the first introduction of the Cat in the Hat. Has the Cat ever lost his appeal to young children? Not in my lifetime. I remember the Cat in the Hat being one of the first stories that I was ever able to read completely on my own. The repeating words and rhymes made the story easy for me to read, as a child, and gives it a rhythm that I still love to read today, as an adult. Interestingly enough, it wasn't until I read this story to my own kids that I even realized that the children in this story completely overlook the fact that they are letting a stranger into their home when their mother is out.

Does this book still appeal to children today? Absolutely! Preschool to early elementary children love the Cat. In fact, it's one of most circulated books in my library, along with many of Dr. Seuss' other stories. The fact that there is a major reading celebration, Read Across America, that highlights Dr. Seuss and his famous Cat, also demonstrates the enduring love that children have with this book.


Another of my favorite Dr. Seuss books is The Lorax. This book is the didactic tale of the Lorax, a creature who speaks for the trees, birds, fish, and other living things. He lives in a town where nature's balance is being upset by the Once-ler, a businessman who is chopping down trees to make Thneeds to sell to consumers. The overall theme of this story is conservation, but I never knew it as a child. Now, as an adult, I read this book every year prior to Earth Day to reiterate the need to care for our environment. In my opinion, there is not a modern day substitute for this book. Dr. Seuss was way ahead of his time when he wrote this powerful story.

References:


Seuss, Dr. (1957). The Cat in the Hat. New York: Random House.


Amazon.com. (2008). The Cat in the Hat. Retrieved on April 27, 2008, from http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Hat-Dr-Seuss/dp/039480001x.


Suess, Dr. (1971). The Lorax. New York: Random House.

No comments: